Skip to content

Decluttering Day 2

April 3, 2013

After cleaning out the CD rack on my desk yesterday, I thought I’d tackle the huge pile of papers and whatever else stacked in my document tray. No kidding, it’s nearly a foot high. It’s all nice and tidy, but I’m pretty sure that 80% of it is crap I don’t need, and the other 20% needs to be somewhere else. But I have to admit, I wasn’t looking forward to it, at least not tonight, because I think it’s going to be a fairly time-consuming process. Some of the paper in that pile are probably important, and need to be filed properly, so I can’t just start grabbing stuff and throwing it in the recycle bin. It’s going to take a while, and I don’t have a whole lot of free time on Wednesdays. At least not if I want to get to bed at a decent hour. 

But in the end, I didn’t deal with the pile of papers. I did a totally different kind of decluttering, and honestly, it feels pretty good. I decluttered my iPod. For some people, that kind of thing might not count, but for me, I think it’s going to be just as important as the physical decluttering I’m doing, because I’m a digital packrat, too. 

My iPod has been performing a it sluggishly lately, and I suspected that it was because the hard drive was nearly full. So today when I saw the notification that said I needed to update 18 apps, I decided to delete apps I haven’t been using. That brought the total down to 14. I updated those, but while they were downloading, I started deleting other apps I haven’t been using. Several dozen, at least! 

I was feeling pretty happy with myself, but saw that I’d only recovered about 4 gigabytes. Better, but still not that great. So I went through my podcast subscriptions, ditched some I rarely if ever actually listen to, and then checked through the remaining subscriptions to remove individual episodes I didn’t want to listen to. That took my to just over 6 gigabytes free. 

Next I opened my music app, and started deleting songs I rarely if ever listen to. Let me tell you, there were a lot! I don’t know how it all got on there, but one thing I realized today was that despite the fact that I’ve owned an iPod for nearly four years now, I’ve never had any idea how to delete songs. Turns out it’s easy, but time-consuming when you’re getting rid of 1000 or so songs. When I finally finished, I had over 10 gigabytes of free space on my iPod. 

Then I went back and looked at the apps again. And I realised that in many cases, I have the same apps on my iPod, my iPhone, and my iPad. Sure, I use my iBooks and Kindle apps all the time, but almost always on my iPad. I don’t really need them on my iPod now that I have the other devices, so they’re gone. I went through again and deleted more and more and more. And it’s possible that I’m not done yet, but as of now I’ve got 11.2 gigabytes of free space.

A few more apps may go, and I’ve still got nearly 10 gigs of podcasts to deal with. And if I’m honest, “deal with” is going to have to mean delete, because there’s no way I’m going to be able to catch up on 410 episodes. That’s 263 hours, 48 minutes worth of listening, and even with listening to them at double speed, that’s 5.5 days of listening to podcasts, non-stop. That ain’t gonna happen. But at this point, I just can’t bring myself to delete them all. 

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: